For your case assignment, you are to write a hypothetical case study of one person with a disability, from birth through age 12.
Module 4 Case Assignment
MPS 612 – Case Topic
For your case assignment, you are to write a hypothetical case study of one person with a disability, from birth through age 12. You can choose any disability we have studied so far. (You may also choose
one we have not covered – but please run that by me first). The purpose of this assignment is to show your understanding of the infant and childhood development of someone with a disorder. Use readings from the first 4 modules and your own research to back up your case study with facts about children with this disorder. Make sure to cite all of your sources. Because all children have individual differences, you do not need to outline every possible developmental trajectory of the disorder. This is the point of doing a case study – you need only envision the individual development of one child. The following is a sample outline for the paper:
Introduce the case and the disability. For example:
This case study will describe the life of Jenny, a 12-year-old female of Taiwanese descent. Jenny was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) when she was four years old. According to the American Psychiatric Association (2013), ASD is a disorder characterized by…
Jenny lives with…
Describe the infant development (birth to 12 months) of your case, milestones met and when, and things the parents or caregivers may have noticed (or not noticed) at this stage. If applicable, include here any prenatal factors that may have influenced the child’s development. It is possible that the child you are studying did not
show any developmental delays in this stage. If this is the case, outline your case’s normal development for this age range.
Describe the early childhood development (1-5 years) of your case, milestones met and when, and things the parents or caregivers may have noticed (or not noticed) at this stage. It is possible that the child you are studying did not show any developmental delays in this stage. If this is the case, outline your case’s normal development.
Describe the middle childhood development (6-12 years) of your case. For this age range, focus on issues that may develop in school, symptoms teachers may notice, interventions needed in the classroom, and/or peer relationships.
Brief conclusion summarizing the main points of your case.
- The Case Assignment will be a 5-8 page essay (excluding cover page and references).
- You should use a minimum of 3-4 sources in your Case Assignment.
- Your written work should follow APA style and formatting.
- Your essay should have a cover page and reference page. Abstracts are not required.
- Must be double-spaced with 1-inch margins and typed in 12-point Times New Roman.
- If you do not turn in your Case Assignment before the deadline, points may be deducted from your score for tardiness. If you anticipate a problem turning in your assignment on time, please contact your instructor immediately to avoid a failing grade for non-submission.
- This is not an opinion paper – be sure to find research to support any points you are making in your paper.
- Pronoun Use: when writing academic papers, do not use “I,” “you,” “we,” or other personal pronouns. When doing academic writing, we do not want your opinion – we want to know what the experts say about the topic you are researching.
- Do not use contractions such as “don’t” or “isn’t” – all contractions should be written out, like “do not” or “is not.”
- When quoting, paraphrasing, or summarizing information taken from another source, use in-text citations to indicate source of information, with complete reference information on the reference page. Every reference needs a citation, and every citation needs a reference. Acts of plagiarism will result in a
- Please note that Wikipedia may be helpful in locating links that will take you to credible sources of information, but quotations from Wikipedia text are not recognized as credible, scholarly
sources of information.
- For help with APA style, refer to the following website or ask your instructor!